Emphasising on waste management and renewable sources of energy, this new theme park in Delhi, Waste To Wonder, features the seven wonders of the world, constructed using waste metal products. The park is located near Sarai Kale Khan inter-state bus terminus and is spread across seven acres of land. It was inaugurated by the Home Minister Rajnath Singh on April 18. By Swastika Mukhopadhyay
1. The replicas of the seven wonders of the world are entirely made up of waste products like scrap parts of automobiles, metal fans, rods, nut-bolts, iron sheets, nonfunctional appliances, and etc. In total, 150 tonnes of waste has been used to build up these structures.
2. The South Delhi Municipal Corporation took the initiative to build this park with one objective in mind—to conduct meaningful projects that involve waste management and to enhance the aesthetic element of the city.
3. While the entry fee to the park is INR 50 for adults and INR 25 for children between ages three to 12, senior citizens above the age of 65 and children up to the age of three enjoy the benefit of free entry.
4. The Waste to Wonder park was constructed within a span of six months by five artists, seven supplementary artists and 70 welders. The washrooms inside the park are built using outdated shipping containers.
5. There are specific areas dedicated to selfie lovers. Giving way to the latest craze of selfies, the builders of the park have ensured a designated area for people wishing to click selfies with the replicas. Furthermore, the park consists of a play area for the children, various eateries and illuminated pathways.
6. The park is powered by solar energy generated through the solar panels installed in the park itself.
7. This is the world’s first park where all the seven wonders of the world have been constructed from waste products. SDMC commissioner P K Goel was quoted saying. “In other wonders of the worlds parks, cement and mortar have been used, and their cost is much higher”, he added.
How to reach The Waste to Wonder Park?
The Waste to Wonder Park is located in Rajiv Gandhi Smriti Van near Sarai Kale Khan bus terminal. People travelling by metro will have to get off at the Hazrat Nizamuddin Station on the pink line of Delhi Metro. Those travelling by bus can take the bus to Sarai Kale Khan bus terminus.