For the first time since the COVID-19 outbreak in March 2020, India is set to allow e-visa service for United Kingdom (UK) citizens. The website is still not ready, but will be in the near future, so that British nationals can apply for their visas online.
This news was confirmed by The High Commission of India to the UK, Vikram K Doraiswami, in a video announcement on Twitter on December 5, 2022. He stated that India is resuming e-visas once again, so friends from the United Kingdom can now travel far more easily to India. He also added that the system upgrade in India is underway and that the visa website will soon be functional to receive applications from friends in the UK.
All you need to know about India’s E-Visa For UK Nationals
Reportedly, the United Kingdom is now added to the list of the 164 countries mentioned on the official Indian e-visa website that are eligible for the e-visa facility. One of the quickest ways to visit India, the e-visa application process is also quite simple. Ever since Rishi Sunak took on the role as the first-ever Indian-origin Prime Minister of the UK, speculations were on about India resuming the e-visa for British nationals.
Team @HCI_London is delighted to confirm that e-Visa facility will again be available for UK nationals travelling to India. System upgrade is underway & the visa website will soon be ready to receive applications from friends in the UK. Here’s a video on the subject. @MEAIndia pic.twitter.com/E0UdgMOayG
— India in the UK (@HCI_London) December 5, 2022
It is also believed that this was one of the issues discussed between PM Narendra Modi and Mr Rishi Sunak when they met at the G20 Summit in Indonesia last month.
This move will bring about several other measures that are being undertaken to boost the entire Indian visa processing method, which includes setting up a new India Visa Application Centre (IVAC) at Marylebone in central London and a Visa at Your Doorstep (VAYD) service, so as to process the high travel demand from the UK to India post the pandemic.
How to apply for e-visa
- E-Visas are available in six categories- e-Tourist Visa, e-Business Visa, e-Medical Visa, e-Medical Attendant Visa and e-Conference Visa.
- To apply for an Indian e-visa, applicants can visit the official website of the government at indianvisaonline.gov.in.
- Click on ‘Apply here for e-visa’ on the website and fill in the required information and the category of e-visa you are applying for.
- Pay e-Visa fees online using a Credit/Debit card/any payment wallet.
- An Electronic Travel Authorisation/ETA will be sent to your provided email.
- Print the ETA and present it at Immigration Check Post where the e-Visa will be stamped on the passport.
After the e-Visa application is submitted, it will be examined and if any document or image is not appropriate, the applicant will be advised in the given email to re-upload the same.
- The e-visa application may take up to 72 hours or more to process.
Hero Image: Courtesy Danijela Prijovic/Unsplash; Featured Image: Courtesy Pascal Meier/Unsplash