Satiate your food cravings during the lockdown without compromising on health with these delicious immunity-boosting recipes from the master chefs of Oberoi Hotels & Resorts. By Bayar Jain
When the world comes to a pause, our cravings of gourmet food are forced to be stalled as well for twin reasons: one, owing to the lockdown and subsequent temporary closures of food outlets; and two, for preventing oneself from falling ill. Thanks to Oberoi Hotels and Resorts, our cravings of delicious foods can be resolved now without having to compromise on flavours or health! Curated by Oberoi’s master chefs, the luxury hotel chain has released a range of immunity-boosting dishes – each of which brings together flavour and health in an easy-to-follow avatar. Divided into Western, Breakfast, Indian, and beverages, we picked out some of our favourites from each category for you.
Roast Beetroot Ravioli with Orange Reduction
This dish is beneficial as eating more beetroots may boost your immune function and prevent chronic diseases due to the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants they contain. On the other hand, oranges contain vitamin C, which increases the production of white blood cells. These are key to fighting infections.
For the Ravioli
- 1 whole beetroot
For the Sauce:
- 50 ml of orange juice
- 1 whole orange
For the filling:
- 40 gms Philadelphia cheese
- 10 gms cream
- 5 gms basil
For the filling:
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling together.
For the ravioli:
- Cover beetroot with foil and roast at 180 degrees for 50 mins.
- Cool the beetroot peel and thinly slice it.
- To assemble the ravioli, place a thin slice of beetroot at the bottom, pipe the mixture and seal with another slice on top.
- Shape the ravioli using a round cutter.
For the sauce:
- Heat the orange juice in a pan till it reduces to half its original consistency.
All the ingredients present in the dish are extremely nutritional. While blueberries are considered the king of antioxidants; cinnamon reduces the risk of heart diseases and lowers blood sugar; honey improves cholesterol; muesli protects from colds; and cranberries aid digestion.
- Greek yoghurt
- Mint Sprig
- Mix honey and yoghurt.
- Add chopped blueberry, cranberry, raspberry, and strawberry to it.
- Next, layer with muesli, honey, and yoghurt mix.
- Garnish with a fresh mint sprig.
Shatwar tulsi mulethi ka shorba
This soup-like dish is rich in B12 due to the inclusion of asparagus. The liquorice helps prevent flu and cough, while the basil has the ability to build immunity against viral diseases.
- 500 gms asparagus
- 50 gms basil
- 20 gms liquorice
- 200 gms Tinospora
- 20 gms garlic
- 2 litres water
- Salt to taste
- Make a stock by adding garlic, Tinospora and liquorice.
- Next, add asparagus and basil.
- Blend this and strain it well.
- Mix the stock. Add salt to taste.
- Serve hot
Papaya basil smoothie with chia seeds
The core ingredient of this drink, the papaya, lowers cholesterol, helps in weight loss, and boosts immunity. Chia seeds present in the dish are an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids, fibre and protein. Basil, another ingredient in the dish has a notable amount of vitamin A and other antioxidants which can help reduce oxidative stress and chronic inflammation around the body.
- 200 gms frozen papaya
- 10 gms basil leaves
- 250 ml of milk
- 15 gms honey
- 30 gms chia seeds
- 10 gms chopped almonds
- Blend all the ingredients except the chia seeds and almonds till smooth.
- Once the mixture is smooth, add chia seeds and chopped almond.
- Mix well.
For more such immunity-building recipes by the Oberoi Hotels & Resorts, head here.
Related: #TnlSalutes: Oberoi Hotels Comes To The Rescue Of Workers & Frontliners During COVID-19 Lockdown