7 Inspired Creative Spots in Perth
The central business district of this Aussie outpost is loosening its collar and blossoming with creativity, writes Carmen Jenner.
Published on May 11, 2015
1. Make the most of Perth's endless sunshine and emerging urban art scene with Public Urban Art Walks. Over the course of three hours you'll traverse three kilometers through the CBD and Northbridge where you'll discover graffiti artworks, learn about the artists and then debrief over beers at the Mechanics Institute rooftop bar. Meet at Form, 357 Murray St.; public.form.net.au.
City art on a Public Urban Art Walks tour. Courtesy of Public Urban Art Walks.
2. No need to choose between a wet, dirty or Martinez martini at the speakeasystyle The Laneway Lounge: order the hybrid Lego Dego gin martini served with three Lego-shaped jelly blocks, each representing one of the renditions. And it isn't just the cocktail menu that brings the heat; the entertainment line-up and new dinner options cement the Laneway's rep as Perth's premiere late-night lounge. 414A Murray St.; thelanewaylounge.com.au.
Have a Lego Dego at the Laneway Lounge. Courtesy of The Laneway Lounge.
3. At 2:30 a.m., when it really counts, where can you find dumplings bursting with kangaroo, or wash down handmade noodles with draft-fresh sake? At the heaven-sent Darlings Supper Club, where the management has night owls covered. 47 Lake St., Northbridge; darlingssupperclub.com.
Late-night eats at Darlings Supper Club. Courtesy of Darlings.
4. Calling all carnivores—have your primal needs sated at Northbridge Brewing Company, where you can spend the day glutting on burgers and steaks and guzzling handcrafted brews. Add this inner-city brewery's position overlooking the Northbridge Piazza and you've got the makings, or undoing, of the perfect lazy Sunday. 44 Lake St., Northbridge; northbridgebrewingco.com.au.
5. Running from November to mid-April, Rooftop Movies screens classic, current and cult films to watch with friends while chowing down on slices of wood-fired pie courtesy of Dough Pizza. Top floor, Roe Street Carpark, 68 Roe St., Northbridge; rooftopmovies.com.au.
Outdoor Rooftop Movies. Courtesy of Rooftop Movies.
6. Perth's shiniest watering hole, Lot 20, dishes up farm-fresh goodies until midnight. Drinks range from amber brews to fancy swizzled concoctions served in a courtyard or upstairs within the heritage-listed warehouse-style restaurant. Even the restrooms here are entertaining, with a nonstop soundtrack of quips from the 1970's BBC sitcom Fawlty Towers. 198-206 William St., Northbridge; lot20.co.
A farm-fresh dish at Lot 20. Courtesy of Lot 20.
7. The annual Perth International Arts Festival (PIAF), brings the highest quality artistic experiences for its audience from around the world. This is one of the longest running international arts festival in Australia. perthfestival.com.au.
The Giants roam PIAF. Courtesy of Perth International Arts Festival.
- 3 Places for Kids to Play in Chiang Rai
- 3 Kid-Friendly Activities in Bagan
- 6 of Joss Stone's Favorite Places
- 3 Cutting-Edge Hong Kong Restaurant Designers
- 5 Stunning Phuket Hotels
- 3 Ways to Spend a Family Vacation in Burma
- 4 Burmese Festivals You Shouldn’t Miss
- 6 Sublime Signature Hotel Scents
- It List 2016