5 Hip Spots to Hang Out in Guangzhou
November 15, 2013
New hotels and boutiques are giving travelers good reason to check out Tianhe, Guangzhou’s upscale business district. BY HELEN DALLY
Published on Nov 15, 2013
1. Designed to resemble an upscale Chinese residence with its dark wood paneling and high ceilings, Mandarin Oriental Guangzhou also has a modern twist with cool contemporary art pieces scattered throughout. Don’t miss dinner at Ebony for locally sourced snow dragon beef tenderloin and a divine red velvet brownie. 389 Tianhe Rd.; +86 20 808 8888; mandarinoriental.com.
2. Popular lifestyle store Fang Suo Commune stocks everything from adorable Midori stationery to fashion designer Ma Ke’s chic clothing label Exception de Mixmind in addition to books and magazines in a chic minimalist space. Shop MU83, Taikoo Hui, 383 Tianhe Rd.; taikoohui.com.
3. Browse homegrown boutique Pollen Life for European textiles and crockery, and quirky statement pieces like watches from Tokyo Bay and vinyl Vespa flight bags. Shop MF01-10, One Link Walk; +86 20 3899 2413; pollen-shop.com.
4. Brit-themed bar Rebel Rebel serves up playfully named food and drink including an Italian Job pizza (pepperoni, Parmesan, Gruyère and mozzarella) and the doubtfully delicious Yellow Submarine shooters (vodka and banana liqueur) in a setting brimming with bonhomie. 42 Ti Yu Dong Rd.; rebelrebelgz.com.
5. W Guangzhou represents Starwood’s first foray into mainland China with its hip hotel brand. Recline on a driftwood sofa in the Woobar over a cup of lavender Earl Grey by day, or enjoy the tunes and mingle with the in-crowd by night. 26 Xian Cun Rd., starwoodhotels.com.
- 3 Places for Kids to Play in Chiang Rai
- 3 Kid-Friendly Activities in Bagan
- 6 of Joss Stone's Favorite Places
- 3 Cutting-Edge Hong Kong Restaurant Designers
- 5 Stunning Phuket Hotels
- 3 Ways to Spend a Family Vacation in Burma
- 4 Burmese Festivals You Shouldn’t Miss
- 6 Sublime Signature Hotel Scents
- It List 2016