Rangoon's Grande Dame Hotels
Burma's biggest city gets spruced up, with two time-honored hotels unveiling their renovations. By MERRITT GURLEY.
Published on Jan 9, 2017
TRAVELERS MAY WANT TO STEP BACK IN TIME when it comes to the scenery, but nobody wants to stay in an old musty room. Two of Rangoon's big-name hotels know the importance of keeping au courant while maintaining local charm. The Sedona Hotel Yangon (Inya Wing Prestige suite from US$230), which celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2016, has added the Inya wing, with 84 luxury suites broken into four room types, in ascending order of spaciousness: Prestige, Irrawaddy, Shin Sawbu and Anawrahta. The Anawrahta, a whopping 197 square meters, is on the top floor and has the best views of Inya Lake in the house.
Anawrahta Suite, Sedona Hotel Yangon. Courtesy of Sedona Hotel Yangon.
+ Colonial gem and literary muse The Strand Yangon, (Superior suites from US$334), has had a few makeovers since it was built in 1901, always in keeping with its past. The re-opening in November 2016, after a six-month dark stretch, reveals another respectful renewal of the hotel's iconic look. Local artisans have restored original architectural details, from the antique bedsteads to the marble flooring, while niceties like USB ports in each room keep The Strand feeling current.
Deluxe Suite, The Strand Yangon. Courtesy of The Strand.
- Stay Longer in the Lion City with Pan Pacific Serviced Suites
- Save on Stays with Hilton Asia Pacific
- Shopping Southeast Asia with Lauren Yates
- Bangkok's Luxe River Cruise
- All of the Rooms in This Melbourne Boutique Are Airstream Trailers
- A Night on the Town in Singapore
- The Height of Romantic Luxury at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali
- Exquisite Experiences at Siam Kempinski Hotel Bangkok
- Experience Chiang Rai’s Spectacular Balloon Festival