A New Eco-Lodge in Khao Yai
A new eco-lodge in Khao Yai is luring Bangkokians out of their condos and into the great outdoors. By PIP USHER.
Published on May 18, 2016
GOOD THINGS come in small packages and The Birder's Lodge (+66 44 300 185) will steal your heart with its perfectly appointed, pint-sized cabins. This rustic retreat, just a few hours drive from Bangkok, is right on the outskirts of Khao Yai National Park, a woodland felicity. The burgeoning tourist scene has seen a number of sleek hotels set up shop but for those seeking something a little different, The Birder's Lodge brings homelike elegance to the great outdoors.
The Birder's Lodge cabins blend into the rustic setting. Courtesy of The Birder's Lodge.
Simplicity may be prioritized here, but it doesn't come at the cost of style. During my stay I was struck by the clever design of the houses—with angular corners, weathered wooden exteriors and vast windows—catering to a pared-down, hipster asceticism. Each of the five homes, ranging in size from 30 to 46 square meters, has a kitchen, living room and comfortable seats from which to admire the jagged, mountainous landscape beyond. As dusk fell, and the hills were bathed shades of pink and periwinkle, I ate alfresco on my small patio, using the house's barbecue to grill up a selection of vegetables and meats that The Birder's Lodge had thoughtfully provided. After dark, I cozied up in bed, filled and fulfilled.
The next morning I had a spot-on breakfast at the on-site coffee shop, which serves up eggs and toast in the morning, as well as a selection of caffeine and sugar fixes throughout the day. It is an appealing spot to while away the hours, but a bicycle propped outside each cabin hints at the many adventures to be had.
- Stay Longer in the Lion City with Pan Pacific Serviced Suites
- A Night on the Town in Singapore
- Save on Stays with Hilton Asia Pacific
- The Height of Romantic Luxury at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali
- Exquisite Experiences at Siam Kempinski Hotel Bangkok
- Experience Chiang Rai’s Spectacular Balloon Festival
- Studying the Ancient Art of Flower Arrangement in Kyoto
- A Star Vietnamese Chef in Hong Kong
- A Vietnamese Grande Dame Gets a Four Seasons Makeover