Hong Kong's Striking Stairs
These brightly hued murals only add to the popular PMQ's creative-cool vibe.
Published on Feb 17, 2016
STREET ART IN HONG KONG is really going places—specifically, to the next floor. The multivenue creative hub PMQ, which was the district's Police Married Quarters in its former life, launched an urban art project called "Hong Kong on Steps" just in January 2016. Seven groups of artists from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea and France teamed up to paint 25 flights of stairs across PMQ, with each tiered mural meant to represent part of the city's complex landscape and cultural history.
One of 25 staircase murals at PMQ. Courtesy of PMQ.
Victor Tsang, PMQ's executive director, says the display will surprise visitors by "transforming monotonic boring stairs into canvases for public art." So the next time you visit PMQ, enjoy the artistic inclination. pmq.org.hk.
- Explore Zürich
- Vegetarian Fast-food in Hong Kong
- Capture the Magic of Bali with the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II
- Seeking Samadhi at JapaMala
- A Whirlwind Cultural Tour of Bangkok
- Hanoi's Ancient Papermaking Tradition
- Luang Prabang's New Botanical Garden
- Brooke Shields Shares Her Travel Tips
- Meet Taichung's Star Chef