A New Heritage Center in George Town, Penang
A new multi-venue heritage center in George Town is proving history is hip.
Published on Sep 29, 2015
The opening of Loke Thye Kee Village blurs the line between past and present and invites travelers to step into the heritage haze. The seven historic shophouses, restored and designed by, Ministry of Design Pte Ltd., channel turn-of-the-century Straits Chinese design distinct to Penang. The space includes a just-opened hotel, LTK art gallery, Tea Spa, a Malaysian restaurant, a burger bistro, and The Bridge rooftop bar; in October 2015 the launch of a heritage center and rotating cultural events will complete the village. Visitors can attend city walks exploring Penang's ancient architecture, sign up for cooking and handicraft workshops, or sip a cup of tea while getting a traditional foot massage.
Loke Thye Kee's King Suite room. Courtesy of Loke Thye Kee Village.
Travelers who want the full village experience should stay a night or two and book one of the five suites in the hotel, Loke Thye Kee Residences. Each room has its own private entrance, a cute kitchenette and an outdoor terrace. Exposed brick walls, arched windows and geometric mosaics are just a few of the design details that are both olden and of-the-moment. 326 Jln. Penang, George Town, Penang, Malaysia; +60 4 263 1929.
- Stay Longer in the Lion City with Pan Pacific Serviced Suites
- Save on Stays with Hilton Asia Pacific
- Shopping Southeast Asia with Lauren Yates
- Bangkok's Luxe River Cruise
- All of the Rooms in This Melbourne Boutique Are Airstream Trailers
- A Night on the Town in Singapore
- The Height of Romantic Luxury at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali
- Exquisite Experiences at Siam Kempinski Hotel Bangkok
- Experience Chiang Rai’s Spectacular Balloon Festival