November 5, 2014
The latest theme park off Singaporean shores is slated to be an earth-friendly megopolis. By Diana Hubbell.
Published on Nov 5, 2014
A frenetic blend of marine biology, sustainable tourism, luxury travel, and over-the-top spectacle, Funtasy Island lives up to its cheeky name. Sure it might sound like a Disney ride, but this ambitious "eco theme park" has a wider audience in mind. Slated for launch before the end of the year, the park will sprawl across 328 hectares in Indonesia's Riau Islands, just 16 kilometers away from Singaporean shores. Nature trails, aquatic sports, a water park, a beach club, and kid-friendly activities are all on the agenda. And in the stolen moments of down time, guests can choose from 352 villas and 158 suites to lounge in, including the extravagant 480-squaremeter Forest Bungalow.
Still not quite outrageous enough for you? Visitors looking to get hitched can do so on the oh-so-campy Love Island, where a glass chapel, hundreds of heart-shaped plants, and space for 1,000 of your nearest and dearest await. Those more interested in biology than matrimony will appreciate that the park has plenty of green cred to back up its eco claims. The developers promise that 70 percent of the area will be kept as a nature preserve, and that trees or corals will be planted for each of the anticipated 1 million annual guests, leaving a lasting mark. Or to put it another way: What grows in Funtasy Island, stays in Funtasy Island. funtasyisland.com.
- Stay Longer in the Lion City with Pan Pacific Serviced Suites
- A Night on the Town in Singapore
- Save on Stays with Hilton Asia Pacific
- The Height of Romantic Luxury at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali
- Exquisite Experiences at Siam Kempinski Hotel Bangkok
- Experience Chiang Rai’s Spectacular Balloon Festival
- Studying the Ancient Art of Flower Arrangement in Kyoto
- A Star Vietnamese Chef in Hong Kong
- A Vietnamese Grande Dame Gets a Four Seasons Makeover